13 October 2020

My Task List and why I haven't written more, but need to!

 It has been four years since I posted here. In that time I:

  • traveled to France, twice, 
  • almost finished a master's degree in history (my fifth degree and my third master's degree) 
  • had my number of grandkids increase to 7 (three in Ohio, two in Arizona, and two in Australia!)
  • written twelve academic papers
  • written fewer poems (only 10), but started one novel (fantasy)
  • did a lot of gardening
  • put on weight
  • acquired some wrinkles
  • retired from teaching
  • dyed my hair red
  • and lived (so far) through a pandemic.
My summer has consisted of sitting on my porch reading, enjoying my gardens, and drinking coffee (in the morning) or wine (afternoon to evening). I think it is now time for me to get back to more creative writing. I have one Tumblr, three Twitter feeds, and two Facebook accounts; all of which have seen more writing from me than my academic or creative work. I have seven blogs: one personal, two professional, three themed: none of which has received much attention of late. 

Ironic that with all the at home time from the pandemic I have not done very much this year, besides gardening and reading books. Year to date I have read 146 books. Everything from ancient Greek literature to Regency murder mysteries to vampire romances. I can lose myself for hours in a good book. 

So here is my challenge to myself and my to do list for fall and winter: 
  1. Get rid of all the old paperwork: from classes, old handouts, exams, and household account stuff over 3 years old. Consolidate and eliminate some filing cabinets!
  2. Clean out the closets. If I haven't worn it in the last 3 years, it needs to go. 
  3. Clean out the kitchen cupboards. Why do I need 3 full sets of dinnerware and 2 full sets of silverware? 
  4. Start either selling books on Amazon, or give them to good homes. I am doing most if not all my reading on my Kindle. The only books I need in print are my reference or favorite ones. 
  5. Turn the 3rd floor library into a functional office. 
  6. Get the basement shower room fixed and functional again. 
  7. Get a plasterer in to fix the walls in the kitchen, upstairs bathroom, and staircase. (Oh, the joys of having a 100+ year old house!)
  8. Exercise more: Take a yoga class, walk 15 minutes per day!
I think that is it. Stay tuned for results.

No comments: